Sunday, May 17, 2009

Bottle Feeding Continued

We have bottle success! Madison now (fairly consistently) will take a bottle from Jason.

Success involves:
- A bottle of milk pumped within the last couple days and refrigerated.
- Playtex Drop-Ins bottles with the slow flow latex nipple.
- Me in a completely other room with doors closed between us.

The complication has been that I have high lipase levels. That causes the lipase to rapidly breakdown the fats in my milk and give it a "soapy" taste and smell. It's pretty gross and I don't blame Mads for turning her nose up at it. The lipase still does it's damage when the milk is frozen, so I will most likely need to throw out my entire freezer stash. **crying** Oh well... I know how to fix the problem (scald milk before freezing), so I'm working on building up a new stash. I even found out that I can scald the milk with a bottle warmer instead of having to use a pan on the stove!

Our plan is to give her the bottle once every other day to keep her used to it.

No comments: