Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Full Term!

Wow!! WOW!! Wow... I'm full term today. 37 weeks. That's pretty amazing. Theoretically Maddie could be here any day now and she'd be a fully-grown, thriving, infant. :) What an exciting thought! No more worry about a premature little one and the fact that she's going to be here soon is amazing. I cannot wait to meet her. To kiss her little face and play with her little fingers and snuggle her tiny body!

I had an OB appointment this morning. Everything looks good. I'm a "fingertip" dilated (just under 1cm), 50% effaced, and softened. So my body is starting to prep! No telling how long it will be, though. I definitely don't want to go down the emotional roller coaster of trying to guess when I'll go into labor, so I'm just going to go with the flow, see what happens, and not take any of the "signs" too seriously since they can be kind of meaningless.

I talked to the nurse today about when I should go into the hospital and was a little disappointed with the answer. They want me to come in right away if my water breaks, or if my contractions are 4 minutes apart, last 1 minute, and have been that way for a few hours. I am hoping to stay home as long as possible to avoid intervention of any kind. If I labor for a long time at the hospital, they will want to speed things up... which I definitely don't want. The Bradley Method recommends that contractions be 3 minutes apart and at least 1 minute long to avoid intervention and ultimately a c-section. That doesn't differ too much, but I'm concerned about "having" to go in right away when my water breaks even if I haven't progressed much. They will automatically put me "on the clock" and try to force my labor along if it isn't speedy. :-/

Anyway, here are some new photos (technically from 36 weeks.)





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great, you know exactly what you want to do and know whats going to happen. And the pictures are cute, you look great! Can't believe how fast time is going! :]]]

K @ Running Through Life said...

You look great R!!! And Maddie will be here soon!! Super exciting!

Mommy Moreno said...

yayyy for FULL TERM! you truly look awesome!!! Happy Holidays :)

Evonne and Darren said...

You look great... can't wait to meet Maddie!

Sophie said...

How wonderful! Congrats on being full term.

I'm also a fellow Bradley-er, and my water did break first. I was dragged to the hospital kicking and screaming but it still worked out in the end. =]

(luojjang)